Pin it!

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

CREAM of ZUCCHINI SOUP

My Dad just said, "Not bad.   I'd better have a another cup!"  Today I am made  "Cream of Zucchini Soup" for my parents from the fresh zucchini Aunt E and Uncle R sent over from their garden.  

Just last week Aunt J and Uncle G brought over THIS zucchini soup to share with my parents. The recipe is my Mother's she has served for the last several years and shared with several women although I didn't grow up with it.  

I asked her today where she got it.  She got it from an Air Force General's wife Gloria O. on a visit to Ramstein Germany.  


CREAM of ZUCCHINI SOUP

3 lb. zucchini 
2 cans chicken broth
2 tsp. salt ½ cup water
1 tsp. onion powder 
1½ cups half & half
1 tsp. garlic powder 
Seasoned salt & pepper to taste
1/8 tsp. white pepper
Chives for garnish
 
Slice zucchini into 1" pieces. Put in a large kettle. Add salt, onion & garlic powder, white pepper, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes, stirring now and then. Blend in a blender until smooth, about 1/3 at a time.  

Place in a clean kettle. Stir in half & half. Season to taste. Heat until heated through. May be refrigerated overnight or FROZEN.  Garnish with chopped chives.

Aunt J's personal preference is to increase the spices called for.

No comments: