Pin it!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Lemon Souffle

As I wonder what "ladylike" recipe to make,  I remember this lemon souffle recipe my Mother sent me when I lived far away from her and was not yet married.  I just dug out the recipe card she sent me, dusted it off, am entering it here for safer keeping and will give it a try for this week's Recipe Party.   
Kevainen Sitruuna Kohokas 
From the Kitchen of My Mother

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour combine
dash of salt

2 Tablespoons melted margarine ----->*(I use squeeze PARKAY so I do not need to melt it.)
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cups milk, scalded -- scald means to let it come just barely to a boil
3 well beaten egg yolks
3 stiffly beaten egg white

Combine the first 3 ingredients.  *Add melted margarine. Add grated lemon peel and the lemon juice.  Scald the milk in a small kettle.   Meanwhile beat egg yolks well.  Slowly stir milk with a whip (vispila) into the egg yolks.  Add this mixture into the flour-sugar mixture.  With electric beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff as if making merinque.  Fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.  Then pour the batter into an ungreased dish.  Set in another bigger pan with about 1 inch of water in it.  I use a dripper pan.  Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.   Do not be alarmed, this does not raise any at all as souffles are supposed to.  It makes its own sauce on the bottom, somewhat like Grandma's Chocolate Cake Pudding.  

With spring coming, I think you will enjoy this.  We certainly do.  

Regular souffle dish looks like this . . .










I think you could use your blue-grey Arabia casserole dish for this purpose.


I love how my Mother gives me tips that will mean something to me and help me understand the recipe better like:
which casserole dish I have that will work, 
what other recipe it's like in consistency, 
what scald means, 
what brand of margarine to use, etc. 

No comments: