Pin it!

Monday, October 27, 2008

Sugar Cookies

Well, it's time to make some sugar cookies. I'm going to try a new recipe from my cousin. You'll find it below. Then you'll find the recipe I usually make below that. It was our FHE.


Title: Wil's Soft Sugar Cookie recipe

Description:
Cousin Gayla says, "This is our family recipe for cut-out cookies. We all (daughters-in-law, too) like it better than anything else we've tried."

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 cubes real butter
4 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/4-1 t. nutmeg (your family's preference)
1/2 t. salt
2 eggs
1 T. vanilla
cream

Directions:
Beat sugar and butter together till fluffy. Add flour, nutmeg, salt, and baking powder. (It will seem like pie dough before you add the water).
In 1 c. measure, beat the two eggs. Add the vanilla, then enough cream to make one cup. Beat into flour and butter mixture.
Roll out and bake at 375 for 8 minutes. Cool and frost.
(Or freeze and frost later)

Number Of Servings:3-4 dozen

Preparation Time:


Read what others had to say:

Cousin Laurel says, "I do Valentine sugar cookies with the grandkids the Sunday before Valentine's Day. This year I decided to use this recipe instead of the one from the Lion House cookbook that I have been using for the past 25 years or so. We loved it! The dough was very easy to work with and the cookies were tasty and had a good texture.

I doubled the recipe, which was just right for my Bosch. I used the dough hook and poured in the cream mixture in a slow stream into the other mixed ingredients while the mixer was on. So much better than adding flour to the liquid ingredients like I usually do. Thank your for sharing the recipe, Gayla. I will always think of you and your mom when I use this recipe."


Title: Utah State University Sugar Cookies by Valene Tueller

Description:
Bro. Tueller was the USU Basketball coach when I attended "State". My Family Home Evening group attended Family Home Evening in their home one Valentine's Day. We made these sugar cookies and they are the BEST I have ever tasted. Many others agree and have requested this recipe, so I'm posting it here. I'm also posting it here, so I'll always have it. I was just putting it away from using it for Christmas goodies and our daughter's class.

Ingredients:
4 c flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 t nutmeg
Mix together in large bowl and set aside.
1 c butter
1 1/2 c sugar
1 egg
1/2 c sour cream
1 t vanilla
Frosting:
1 package powdered sugar
4 ounces cream cheese
1 t vanilla
milk
red food coloring

Directions:
Beat butter, sugar and egg until light and fluffy. Beat in sour cream. Add to dry mix. Add vanilla. Bake at 375 degrees for 12-14 minutes. They are best barely golden.
Frosting: Use softened cream cheese and stir it until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and then add just enough milk for a thick consistency. Then stir in the vanilla and a few drops of red coloring.

Number Of Servings:This makes about 6 giant cookies -- 2 per cookie sheet.

No comments: