Pin it!

Monday, September 29, 2008

In search of buttermilk pie

This caught my eye this morning. I just love "Magelby's" Buttermilk Pie and since I no longer live nearby where I can get it, I occasionally wonder if I can find a recipe like it or not. Well this morning an ad popped up and I found

. . . one of Colonel Harland Sanders' favorite recipes. It's for Buttermilk Pie, a Kentucky specialty. And, of course, it goes great with fried chicken.


Buttermilk Pie
Beat 4 eggs and 3/4 cup sugar together until light and lemon colored. Add the flour and beat more.

2 Tbs. Flour
4 Tbs. Melted Butter
Grated Rind of 1 Lemon (yellow part only)
1 1/2 Cup Buttermilk (churned buttermilk is best)
1 Tsp. Vanilla
3 Tbs. Lemon Juice

Sprinkle a little Cinnamon on top after filling is in the crust.

Mix butter, vanilla, lemon juice, rind and buttermilk. Add it to the egg mixture; pour into baked but not brown pie shell. Cook at 375 degrees 20 to 30 minutes. (Overcooking makes it tough.)

At Magelby's, I'd get the raspberry sauce over it. I think I'll give this a try.

No comments: