Pin it!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Casserole of Rice and Beef


I had a pound of hamburger thawing out in the refrigerator and with a green pepper from my neighbor's garden, and some food storage, I made a casserole dish my Mother often made us growing up.  She got it from Joyce, her neighbor during their Army days, and it's one I've always liked and that kids usually like as well.  

Casserole of Rice and Beef

1/2 cup dry rice
2 cups canned diced tomatoes or tomato sauce or a mixture of the two
3/4 to 1 lb. ground beef
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 medium onion, chopped (dehydrated can work as well)
dash of black pepper
1 tsp. salt
2 cans water from tomatoes

Sort rice, but do not wash.  (I love these older directions).  I also have heard now that you should wash the rice so that the arsenic comes off of it!  Melt 2 T butter (I still use this even in this Pam or EEOV era) in a frying pan.  Add dry rice, chopped onion, diced green pepper, salt, pepper and hamburger.  Brown to a rich golden brown.  Add tomatoes and water.  Let simmer in the covered frying pan (I only use cast iron nowadays) for 30 minutes.  Watch it so it doesn't dry out.  Serve with a dollop of sour cream.  

It also goes nicely with corn I think and/or green salad.

I given this recipe with canned goods when it is "food storage" bridal shower.  I give rice, canned tomatoes or tomato sauce with the recipe for their food storage.  Often I buy tomatoes that have diced green peppers in them so I can make it without buying a fresh green pepper. I've even given them canned corn too, so they'll have a side.  

NOTE:  Nowadays I like to make the rice in a rice cooker or use leftover rice.  I also often use already fried hamburger.  Just fry the rest together and then add in the rice and hamburger at the last. 

No comments: