Pin it!

Thursday, December 6, 2007

No Crock, it's Crock Pot Rice Porridge

Tonight is our recipe exchange themed "Crock Pot Recipes". The idea being that in this busy month, we need to eat good food amidst the sugary temptations and hustle and bustle. There are a myriad of foods, even beverages, one can make in a slow cooker. Stephanie Ashcraft from
http://www.recipes-101.com/ says, "The slow cooker can do what no oven or stovetop burner can--cook flavorful and healthy food while its owner goes blissfully about the business of the day."

If you are new to crock pots or slow cookers, I suggest investing in one or both of the 101 books Stephanie Ashcraft has -- each full of 101 recipes for beverages, dips and fondues, main courses, side dishes, desserts, along with suggestions for how and what to serve with each dish, time-saving meal preparation tips, and easy modifications to fit your family's tastes.

I'm anxious to try her wassail, hot chocolate, appetizer meatballs, and fondue during this busy Christmas season. It sure has me thinking about what else I can make the slow cooker way.

For me, it's also about which traditional foods I'll make anyway this month, can I make the slow cooker way, while I'm blissfully doing other things and time them ready to serve when I need/want them served. Since I want my rice porridge ready for Christmas morning, and since I'm blissfully busy Christmas Eve and Christmas morning, I'm going to try this out and see if it will work to have it cook overnight and be ready for breakfast to serve with Pulla boys and girls. (See my Dec. 20006 pulla blog for the recipe.)

So, today I'm going to try something different -- make rice porridge or "Santa Food" as my nephew calls it, in a slow cooker. It will be interesting to see if it turns out this way or not.

Okay, here's the traditional recipe I use to make Rice Porridge on the stove top. My plan is to combine all of the ingredients in my greased slow cooker, cover it and cook it on low heat for 4-6 hours, or until the rice in done.

Title: Riisi Puuro (Mummo's Rice Porridge)

Description:
Often served as the dessert on Christmas Eve or as the breakfast on Christmas morning with a lone almond placed in before serving. The one who gets it in his/her bowl will receive good luck in the coming year.

Something new I read in Christmas in Finland edited by World Book, Inc. Staff, World Book Encyclopedia, is "the almond bearer must rise to entertain the others or may be assigned a job for the day to earn his or her good fortune." Oh, this will be fun to incorporate into our tradition starting this year!!


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
3 cups boiling water
1/2 t salt

4 cups of milk (can use mixed powdered milk)
1/2 cup sugar
2 T margarine
1/2 c heavy cream

Directions:
Steam covered for 20 minutes on low. Then start adding milk, stirring it well and let cook on a little higher heat. Stir occasionally, adding more milk when needed. Keep adding milk until it is all used up. It usually takes about 1/2 hour. Then add 1/2 cup of sugar or a little more and 2 T margarine and stir well. After the porridge is done, you may add (optional) 1/2 c heavy cream for a real creamy taste. If making for Karjalan Piirakka, (posted later) omit the sugar and heavy cream.

Serve warm with either milk, cinnamon and sugar or traditional Raisin Soup (posted later) poured over it. I'm not a raisin fan, so we're used to the first version.

The lid to my slow cooker broke, so I heard I could just place foil over it instead. It works!! I read a slow cooker tip you may find useful also. To speed up cooking time, place the ingredients first into an oven bag and it will speed up you cooking time -- especially useful when slow cooking a roast.

Since I'm in the market for a new crock pot or slow cooker, I saw this advertisement for one I think I'll find especially useful. http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/products/cooking-slow-cookers.phpSome of its features include:
# Clip-tight lid locks on to prevent messy spills
# Large, full-grip handles make carrying easier
# Convenient lid rest keeps lid out of way for stirring and serving
# Dishwasher safe stoneware and lid

Check it out at: http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/products/cooking-slow-cookers.php

1 comment:

MaijaBlog said...

Just to let you know, the slow cooker way worked great. Two differences I noticed are, it's a softer rice and it's not as thick either.