Pin it!

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Egg Gravy over Mashed Potatoes and Tilapia

I was cooking some tilapia in the crock pot when my Mother asked what I was going to serve with it.  She suggested Egg Gravy over mashed potatoes.  

She used to make egg gravy often.  I'd never made it because it was just something she would just whipped up.  I say that because she uses a wire ship to stir the gravy and would prepare it so quickly.  So, she talked me through it. Since she never really did cook from a  recipe, this is the best I came up from.  I even put the saucepan on her lap so she could stir it and teach me the correct consistency.  

Egg Gravy

Boil 3 eggs about 9 minutes.
Melt 1 T butter in a sauce pan.
Add some chopped onion to it. 
Don't let it get brown.
Add 2 cups milk
stirring continuously with a wire whisk.
Add 1/4 cup flour
stirring continuously until it thickens.
Stir in some salt and pepper to taste.
After you've peeled and rinsed the eggs, slice them both ways with an egg slicer and gently stir them into the gravy.

Serve over mashed potatoes.
A crisp green salad also goes so well with it. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best gravy I have ever tasted. I have not had this gravy since I was a teenager visiting the Farm and it was very tasty.

kevin stohl