Pin it!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Mrs. Newberry Biscuits for Thanksgiving

Categories: Breads
Usually I put space between each so they are round instead.
Title: Mrs. Newberry Biscuits

Description:
Thanksgiving dinner means you'll need the Mrs. Newberry Biscuits recipe. Our family always ate these then growing up. My Mother got this recipe from her neighbor Mrs. Newberry when they lived in Fort Riley, Kansas while my Father was assigned there for the military. My brother and I would smash our first one out of the oven, much to my Mother's shagrin, and smother it with butter. Later that evening we'd use them for turkey and tomato sandwiches. I think it's the sugar that makes them:)

Ingredients:
2 T dry yeast dissolved in 1/2 c. warm water with a shake of sugar on top
2 1/2 c warm water
3/4 c powdered milk (scant)
1 t salt
1 c sugar
1/2 c shortening or margarine
7 1/2 c flour (about)

Directions:
Mix and knead as any biscuit dough. Raise until double or about 1 hour in a warm place or a dishpan of hot water. Form into round balls, golf ball size or a little larger. Raise covered with dish towel in a warm place for 2 hours. Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Thanks for adding the Creative Cookie button to your blog Maija Lisa! I entered you in the giveaway.:)

Lori said...

Thanks for adding my button to your blog Maija Lisa! I entered you in the giveaway:)