Pin it!

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Add this Cole Slaw to your outdoor picnic this summer

It's time for our last recipe club of the season. Where has this year gone?

Our theme is Outdoor/BBQ. I'm bringing a coleslaw salad that my Aunt makes for family reunions and my Mother loves so much and used to make frequently. I'm here with her today, so I made it up just now, so I can leave some of it with them to eat as well as for the ladies to taste tonight.

Aunt Juanita's Cole Slaw

6 c. finely chopped green cabbage

I used the food processor and put in a wedge at a time. It took about 3/4 of a medium head to equal 6 cups. I put it into a medium sized bowl and set it aside while I made the dressing to pour over it. No problem with leftover raw cabbage, because we like steamed cabbage as a vegetable with dinner.

Dressing:

1/4 cup + 1 Tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. grated onion
1/3 c. salad oil
1 tsp. poppy seeds

Next I chopped about 1/4 of a medium onion in the food processor for the 1 tsp. grated onion. Then I added the other ingredients and blended them altogether until well blended in the food processor or you can hand whisk them too. Fold the dressing into the chopped cabbage and chill before serving. Keeps well for several days and is a great addition to any summer picnic. It does taste best outdoors.