Pin it!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What has Relief Society done for you?

Tonight was our Relief Society Birthday Celebration!

It's always so much fun to get together with other women to share good food and good conversation and be entertained.

We celebrated the contribution the Relief Society has made to so many lives, so much so that the average Laurel would never realize its impact.

Table SettingsDon't you just love these centerpieces. I think she did such a beautiful job with them!
I'm thankful they shared the recipes of what we made and brought with us. So I have them handy for my use from any internet connection, any day, I'll share them here too. We served minestrone soup, rolls, and key lime pie.

Minestrone Soup
1lb hamburger, browned
2 chopped onions
2 T. green peppers
4 stalks celery chopped
2c. potatoes, diced
3 c. carrots, diced
2 c. diced tomatoes
1/4 c. barley
1 1/2 qt. water
1 c. tomato or V8 juice
6 whole allspice
1 bay leaf
1 t. sugar
2 T. parsley
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
salt, pepper, season salt, garlic salt to taste
Simmer 3-4 hours or put in crockpot for 10-11 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high.

I'd suggested sorbet to cleanse the pallet and they decided to serve it this fun way.
Frozen Key Lime PieFrom "Favorites" Crust: 1 ¼ cups graham cracker crumbs 2 tablespoons sugar ¼ cup butter, melted Mix together and press into a 9 inch springform pan. Freeze for 15 minutes. Filling: 1 pint lime sherbet 1 pint Haagen-Dazs zesty lemon sorbet 1 pint vanilla frozen yogurt 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice Soften and mix together in mixer. Spoon into crust. ¼ cup coconut, toasted Fresh limes for garnish Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Freeze for at least 4 hours. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with sliced limes on top.

Favor
Easter colored candies served as the take home favor in fun carrot shaped boxes.

Program

Our program was two part -- first a play about the role of Relief Society and then 3 sisters shared how RS stepped in to help each of them. I know I've been helped by the Relief Society organization. It doesn't matter where I've lived or visited, I've found instant friends, enrichment and consistency.
I'm so grateful for Relief Society in my life.

No comments: