Pin it!

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Come for the food, Stay for the Pie!

What's your favorite type of pie?

My husband's Mom is, and both Grandmothers were, great pie makers. (See pie crust recipe below.)

"We've all heard the phrase 'as American as apple pie.' The truth is pies originated in ancient Greece, became popular in Rome and were brought to America by the pilgrims." That's what it says on the "Baker's Square" website anyway. I went there looking for their 90s slogan that went something like "Come for the food, stay for the pie". I couldn't find it, so if you remember it, please let me know what it was.

I'm going to make My Sister-in-law's Maternal Grandmother's Pineapple Cream Pie. On our trip to a family wedding this weekend, my sister-in-law's Mother shared with me the recipe for her Mother's homemade Pineapple Cream pie, which we really like. Now, if I remember her comments correctly, her family recipe consists of *cooked vanilla pudding made with park milk and part pineapple juice and crushed pineapple. She said she used cooked pudding and her Mother used to make the vanilla pudding from scratch. I'm going to try that. I had to find a recipe on the internet though. I found this one I'll try, since it has butter in it:

Homemade Vanilla Pudding from www.allrecipes.com:
Ingredients
2 cups milk
1/2 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter
In medium saucepan over medium heat, heat milk until bubbles form at edges. In a bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Pour into hot milk, a little at a time, stirring to dissolve. Continue to cook and stir until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Do not boil. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and butter. Pour into serving dishes. Chill before serving. So, I'll make it and pour it into an already bake pie crust. (See pie crust recipe below).

One reader who tried the pudding recipe wrote:
"The consistency of this pudding was the best thing about it. Perfect thickness for pie or pudding. I got lumps the first time I made it, so the 2nd time, instead of heating the milk first, I put the dry ingredients in the pan & added the milk gradually while stirring, then cooked it, stirring constantly. This prevented lumps. Also it was too sweet for my taste so I cut the sugar to 1/3 cup. I liked it better with less sugar, which was surprising because I am a huge sugaraholic."

I found some Pineapple Cream Pie recipes with sour cream, others with egg yolks, and even ice cream, but this seems simpler.

Now what crust to use?
Some recipes I found use a graham cracker crust and others use regular baked pie crust to pour their cream pie filling into. Well, my husband's Mom makes up a bulk pie crust recipe mix which is quite flaky and good. I'll fill one of each.

My Mother-in-law's Pie Crust Mix

Description:
Bulk recipe for pie makers like my Mother-in-law. Good to have on hand for the holidays or family gatherings. Remember, true pie lovers only cut a pie once, so you'll need several pies:)


Ingredients:
5 lb. bag Gold Medal white flour plus 1 cup
3 lb Crisco (don't substitute)
3 T sugar (optional)
3 T salt

Directions:
Mix well. Store in a plastic container or Crisco can. Keeps well in a cool place or refrigerator. Use 1 1/2 c of mixture plus 2-3 T cold water for each crust. Mix with a fork.

My husband's favorite pie of his Mother's is boysenberry. Here is her recipe:

Boysenberry Filling:
4 c berries -- Albertson's carries frozen Marion Blackberries.
4 T tapioca
1 T lemon juice
1 c sugar

Her favorite is apricot, so you use apricots instead of boysenberries.


Mix and pour into an unbaked pie crust. Put a top layer crust on. You can double it and pour the filling into a 9x13 pyrex and roll out a crust on the top for her version of Cobbler. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes; then reduce to 350 degrees for 20 or so minutes until golden brown. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

No comments: