Pin it!

Monday, September 24, 2007

Something's fishy

Do you like to eat fish or have you heard you should be consuming more Omega -3? I just heard a butcher share his 3 favorite suggestions for cooking fish. Since my Mother grew up eating fish daily, our family likes fish, so I'm going to try all 3. Please add your comment if you have more ideas or like these fishy suggestions.

Salmon Fillet: Put skin side down on grill, cover top with honey butter. Cook about 8 minutes. Gently flip over and the skin will peel off. Add honey butter to this side as well. You'll have a crispy honey butter side and a moist honey butter side.

Halibut Fillet: Spread mayonnaise on top of it as it grills.

Tilapia Fillet: Melt lemon yogurt in a frying pan and spread it over the tilapia as it cooks.

When I lived in Finland, I got to go fishing for Pike. It was so fun to fishing because you are constantly casting and reeling in. I like that better than sitting and waiting. Anyway, if you caught a fish, you were given a fillet knife. The superstition is you must pay for a knife or it brings bad luck, so you give a quarter or something to the gifter. I still have my fillet knife and enjoy filleting trout, etc.

Our sons went fishing for scouts and caught Bass in a local private pond, in exchange for clearing up some logs for the owner. One son's bass was large enough to eat and the others needed to be returned. Dad fried it in lemon pepper.

When I cook salmon it's in tin foil in the oven with lemon pepper and butter buds.
When I cook trout I fillet it and coat it with flour, salt and pepper and fry it in butter, as my Mother did.

5 comments:

Susan said...

M-L - I have a bunch of pollock fillets in my freezer that I have no idea what to do with. Any ideas? My friend made fish tacos with hers, but she didn't really have a recipe. What do you think?

MaijaBlog said...

Maybe try frying your pollock fillets in garlic butter (chopped garlic cloves and unsalted butter) then carefully turning them over and adding scallions or green onion. Just cook until until fish flakes easily with a fork. Drizzle with lemon juice.

I wonder if you can just add some taco seasoning, just not as much as you would for beef, for fish tacos. Something I'll have to explore.

Susan said...

Thanks :) I'm afraid it's going to get freezer burn while I figure out what to do with it!

I'll have to try the garlic butter - that sounds good. Thanks for your help.

MaijaBlog said...

You're welcome.

Just try something with a couple fillets and then something else with a few more. Tell me how it goes.

Alejandro made us fish tacos once and they were so good. I remember he used cabbage and not lettuce. It seems like he used mayonnaise and salsa (which he also ate on corn on the cob -- yum!).

I did find this link to what seems to be a popular fish taco recipe http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000520fish_tacos.php

We ate fish tacos while visiting in San Diego and I didn't care for the tempura style fish tacos. I like the fresh fish instead.

Susan said...

Ok, thanks. I'll try a few things and let you know.