Pin it!

Monday, July 2, 2007

It's Maija (My a) Day!

Finland has Name Days that are celebrated as much as birthdays. I got to experience this first hand when I lived there. Today in Finland is "Maija" day, so it's "my a" day today :) My cousins in America always called me just Maija for some reason I have yet to figure out as my mother was very careful to always have everyone use both of my names. I guess it's the only day of the year that I'm okay with just being called "Maija". The rest of the year I have to think who they mean when it's called. It is the oldest Finnish girls name there is. You actually pronounce every letter and the j is a "yuh" sound.


My parents called first thing to sing "Paljon Onnea Vaan" to me and wish me a happy Maija Day. My husband and kids sang to me and made me low carb flax seed waffles for breakfast. Here's a picture of it. In my family we grew up eating eggs on top of our pancakes and waffles, a tradition my husband has a harder time, yet it polite about doing when at my parents. I offered him an egg today, but he politely declined. I also had some lower fat turkey bacon with it and cinnamon herbal tea. I did not have it served to me in bed however, because I am almost always the first awake and do NOT care for breakfast in bed, just the breakfast made by someone other than me. I'll ask him how he made them. He's great at new creations.



Flaxseed Waffles
flaxseed
egg
splenda
cinnamon
water

All he'd tell me is in them is the ingredients, a sign of a true chef, who knows no proportions. So I guess both you and I will need to experiment. I do know he used Bob's Red Mill Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal. The cinnamon makes it look like chocolate. He also made me Maple Syrup from


Maple Syrup
Mapleine
Water
Splenda
Xanthum Gum

No comments: