Pin it!

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Muffin-Sized Breakfast Quiches

We had a pre 4th of July Brunch today and I was asked to bring a breakfast casserole. Since we're watching our carbs, and those usually call for bread, I chose this fun recipe a friend sent me when I wanted something with eggs for an Easter Brunch. I made them in mini bundt pans. I doubled the recipe so I could have 24 as 16 of us would be there. Several seemed to like them, but I think the trick is really what my Mother taught me that her Mother taught her. "75% of what we eat is with our eyes!" They were more attractive looking this was than in an aluminum dripper pan, so they tasted even better than maybe they would.

Muffin-Sized Breakfast Quiches
Measurements are approximate.

About 9 eggs, cracked in a bowl and beaten as if making scrambled eggs, salt and pepper to taste (you add to the beaten eggs, stir well) 1 bag baby spinach (about 10 oz., you won't use the whole thing) 1 onion, chopped and sautéed till translucent (in a skillet with about 1 tablespoon of oil) Shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (from an 8 ounce bag, you won't use the whole thing)
Preheat the oven to 375. In the meantime, lightly grease your muffin pan with either a spray or a little oil on a paper towel. Into the greased muffin cups, add about 2-4 leaves of spinach, depending on their size. Top the spinach with about a teaspoon of sautéed onions. Top the onions with about 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese. I also add some broiled, sliced turkey bacon. Then using a soup ladle, add enough egg mixture to fill the muffin tin, about 2/3 full.
Bake your little breakfast quiches for about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the size of your muffin tin cups. They should browned nicely on the top, but be careful not to overcook. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick in the middle of one of the muffin cups. If the toothpick comes out clean, then your quiches are done! Let them cool for at least 10 minutes in the pan. Using a dinner knife, carefully run the blade around the perimeter of each little quiche and plop them carefully onto a plate to finish cooling.

1 comment:

Blake said...

I have heard of a recipie like this before and now i have one!