Pin it!

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Ice Cream Cake

This year each of us had an ice cream cake on our birthday.

I've used 2 - 9" silicone rounds or my silicone bundt pan for the shapes so far. It takes a half gallon for each round or 2 quarts for the bundt pan. You can even use 2 flavors of ice cream. I let the ice cream begin to thaw enough to empty from the carton and dump into the pans. Then I press it down, place plastic wrap over them and immediately freeze them. When I'm ready to serve them, I get a nice cake plate out and easily peel off the silicone pan and place the cake on the cake plate. The upsides are 1) there's no need to take the time to make a cake and 2)you have so many flavors to choose from. The downsides of using these homemade ice cream cakes are: 1) it slides off easily, 2) you must serve it immediately when you get it out and you must immediately then refreeze the leftovers, and 3) when I use frosting for decorations or names, it too slides off easily as it begins to thaw. This time I used the sugar letters and drizzled chocolate sauce on instead and it stayed nicely. Decorations like candles, flags, etc. are easy to stick into an ice cream cake.

No comments: